ADYAR IN LOCKDOWN
VISITING THE CAMPUS STAY SUSPENDED
We all know that this is due to COVID-19.
Below are collected information since March 2020
2. "Understanding the Pandemic" is published in English, Hindi, and Tamil, here
As the world passes through this trying moment, I want to share a few words about Adyar and our response to the Coronavirus.
Thankfully, at this point, we have no known cases of infection with our residents or staff. However, we are keenly aware that although the numbers have not yet spiked in India, in all likelihood they soon will. In order to do our part to limit the transmission of the virus we have taken a number of measures.
- We have suspended all meetings of TS and allied groups at our campus.
- We have suspended the hours during which the campus is open for local visitors.
- We have closed the Social Welfare Center (SWC) until further notice.
- We have closed the Vocational Training Center (VTC) until further notice.
- We will also be suspending all major project activities in the campus shortly
- For the time being, we will not be providing accommodations for visitors to Adyar.
- In accordance with government actions, the Olcott Memorial Higher Secondary School (OMHSS) and the Adyar Theosophical Academy (ATA) have been closed until further notice.
- Our clinic on campus will continue to monitor and provide care at no cost for staff and residents.
- Any employees who are found to have the virus will receive paid leave during their recovery.
This is an unprecedented moment in human history, one for which there is no script or previous example. From moment to moment we will navigate our way through. This will end. And when it does we will also navigate our way through the uncharted waters into which this virus is leading us. We can be sure that it will be a different world on the other side of this pandemic.
In the confusion, uncertainty, and anxiety of this moment, one thing is certain. We are all in this together. Our interconnection, interdependence, in a word, our Oneness, has moved beyond the realm of Theosophical speculation to become an undeniable fact. Although many feel paralyzed by the enormity of the situation, this is a time of great opportunity for anyone who sincerely embraces the teachings and the life. Who we are speaks so loudly people cannot hear a word we are saying. The possibility of peace in the face of fear needs demonstration. Our continued cultivation of a center of peace within, and the conscious radiating of that peace into our shared mental and emotional stream, though unseen, has an enormous effect. Whether we find ourselves in isolation, or in the midst of the turmoil there is a work for us to do. One for which we have prepared.
I close with the words of Martin Luther King Jr.
“The ultimate measure of a man is not where they stand in moments of comfort and convenience, but where they stand at times of challenge and controversy.”
May we all find the inner reserves to meet the present and coming challenge - together.
Wishing you all the best